口语进阶 | SARA CONFRONTS MARK
LESSON 10: SARA CONFRONTS MARK
Sara: I know it all! You told me a ridiculous story about a friend in trouble who needed you last Saturday night. Meanwhile, you were out with another woman. You're cheating on me, and you're a liar!
Mark: Okay, so I told a little white lie. I don't know what you heard or saw, but I can explain…
Sara: To add insult to injury, you took this woman to the same restaurant you were going to take me to!
Angela: Hey, you guys might want to keep it down!
Mark: Right. Let's not air our dirty laundry in public. I'll call you later.
Sara: Don’t bother!
IDIOMS & EXPRESSIONS
(To) cheat on someone − 劈腿；对（伴侣）不忠
Example: Gina found some love letters in her husband's night table and realized that he was cheating on her. 吉娜在她丈夫的床头柜里发现了一些情书，进而意识到他出轨了。
White lie – 善意的谎言
Example: “You told Suzi she looks good with blonde hair?” — “Yes, I told a white lie.” “你跟苏子讲她金发的样子很好看？”——“是的，只是一个善意的谎言。”
(To) add insult to injury –伤口撒盐；更糟糕的是
Example: Sam broke up with Kara on Tuesday. To add insult to injury, he asked her good friend Joy out on a date for Saturday night! 山姆和卡拉在周二的时候分手了。更糟糕的是，萨姆周六晚上邀请卡拉的好朋友乔伊去约会。
(To) keep it down – 小声点儿；安静点
Example: “You guys are talking too loudly. Please keep it down so the baby doesn't wake up.” “你们说话声音太大了。请小声点，别把宝宝吵醒。”
(To) air one’s dirty laundry in public – 在公开场合讨论私人问题
Example: The reporter kept asking the actress questions about her divorce. Finally, the actress said, “I'd rather not air my dirty laundry in public.” 那个记者一直追问女演员离婚的事情。终于，女演员忍不住说，“请不要在公开场合讨论我的私人问题。”
Don’t bother – 不用麻烦；算了吧
Example: “Please let me apologize for being rude to you.” – “Don’t bother. I won't be dating you anymore, so it's not necessary.” “请允许我为之前粗鲁的行为向你道歉”——“用不着，我跟你也不会再有什么关系了，所以没有必要。”
PRACTICE THE IDIOMS
Fill in the blank with the missing word:
1) After reading her husband's text messages on his cell phone, Rita realized her husband was cheating _______ her.
2) When Rita accused Nick of being a liar, he said, “I admit it. I've told a few _______ lies.”
3) “Hey, keep it _______,” said Nick after Rita yelled at him. Otherwise, you'll wake up the kids.”
4) Rita doesn't talk about her personal problems at work. She doesn't like to air her dirty _______ in public.
5) “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to lose your phone!” --- Ugh, you are always so careless, don’t _____.
ANSWERS: 1. B; 2. A; 3. B; 4. C; 5. C